Starting in Fall 2017, the University of Southern Mississippi is switching from Blackboard to the Canvas learning management system. In order to accommodate all faculty and staff who will use Canvas, the Office of Online Learning has developed an online training environment. This is the registration event for that online training environment.
The Canvas Online Training is designed to mimic an online course delivered through Canvas. Each workshop is represented as a module within the course. All training materials for the Canvas Online Training were taken directly from previously held live Canvas workshop sessions. And, each module contains an assessment. To successfully complete the workshop online, users must take and pass the assessment at the end of the module.
This online training covers the following topics:
Canvas Workshop #1
- Logging into Canvas
- Using the global navigation
- Accessing your course
- Using the course navigation
- Modifying the Home page
- Creating a module
- Adding content and
- Creating an assignment
Canvas Workshop #2
- Cleaning up the following areas: Gradebook, Assignments, Quizzes, Modules
- Managing course assignments and assignment groups
- Managing quizzes
- Reorganization of Modules
- Customization of Course Navigation
- Identifying broken or inactive links within course content
- Specific user questions
Canvas Workshop #3
- Identifying communication tools within Canvas
- Comparing Canvas communication tools to Blackboard communication tools
- Customizing communication channels and notifications
- Using Big Blue Button (synchronous communication)
- Using course email
- Creating announcements
The online training course is available, but users must complete registration before they are enrolled within the course. Enrollment will occur within two business days of completing registration. You will receive an email from Canvas and the Office of Online Learning confirming your enrollment. The email from the Office of Online Learning will also have instructions for logging into Canvas and accessing the training course.
If you have any questions, please email Mark Ferguson (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Susan Rayborn (email@example.com) in the Office of Online Learning.
NOTE: Please pay no attention to the event dates/times. This is only for our event registration system. Feel free to complete the online training at your own pace.